Speaking to mmaweekly on Monday night Anderson Silva’s manager and translator Ed Soares revealed that complications with Silva’s recent elbow surgery may rule him out of a middleweight title defense against Vitor Belfort. The bout had been expected to take place at UFC 108 in January but that may not be enough time for the fighter to heal.

“They found some things that they weren’t aware of (during the surgery), which is a good thing,” said Soares. “If we’re going to be fighting for the title, we want to make sure Anderson’s 100-percent.”

They will now have to wait for a doctors opinion, which should come within the next 10 days, before being cleared to fight.

Meanwhile Soares revealed that they felt Belfort had not yet earned his shot at the title. Soares also stated his concerns over a potential issue with the fighters weight.

“Vitor has not fought in the UFC at 185 pounds,” he said. “Now, I know people can say Anderson fought for the belt after one fight, and that’s true, but he fought at 185 pounds. At 195 pounds, he didn’t make weight, at first. So he couldn’t make weight at 195 pounds, but now he’s going to fight for the title at 185 pounds?”

Soares has apparently addressed the situation with Dana White but had failed to change his mind on the matter. “We’ll just have to agree to disagree” he admits.

As for who they would prefer to see get the next title shot, it appears that they are sticking to a theory that Nate Marquardt and Dan Henderson should fight to decide who should be next to face Silva in the octagon.

Whether Belfort has earned his shot at the title or not there is no question that a fight with Anderson Silva has the potential to be an explosive encounter, and many fans will be hoping that this bout does indeed take place as originally scheduled.