After former pro-wrestler Bobby Lashley’s humbling second round defeat to the unheralded Chad Griggs at Strikeforce: Houston last month some onlookers wondered whether the 34 year-old would return to the cage.
On Ariel Helwani’s MMA Hour show today Lashley confirmed that he was eager to return to action.
“I’m fighting again for sure…in November at the latest,” Lashley stated.
According to Lashley the reason for his poor performance last time out, in which he appeared to gas out mid-way through the second round, was due to illness, and reveals that he went to the hospital not just after the fight, but also two days earlier as well.
“I went to hospital on Thursday before the fight because I wasn’t feeling very good. I was just sluggish and not feeling good, so I went to urgent care and got checked out. I thought I was going to be okay. We didn’t do any blood work, but they gave me an IV because they said I was a little dehydrated then and when I went in there and fought I didn’t have anything in me.”
Lashley also claims he was suffering from mononucleosis as well, but excuses aside he now wants to wipe the slate clean by earning an immediate rematch with Griggs.
“I already asked for a rematch, because when you have certain events like I did that sort of hindered me from being able to open up and fight, I’ve got to go back,” Lashley said. “I’d hate for them to use that fight to boost somebody’s career, saying, ‘Okay, he beat Bobby,’ because that wasn’t really the case. If I didn’t have these problems, and I’d been able to go out there and fight, I think it would have been a pretty quick win for me. But I just didn’t have anything in me.”
And when he does next step into the Strikeforce cage Lashley believes he’ll do so without the baggage that came with being an unbeaten fighter.
“Once you have a loss, you’re not undefeated anymore so now I don’t have to worry about that. So I can just go out there and fight.”