They left it late, but Strikeforce have finally lined up an opponent for Bobby Lashley ahead of the Strikeforce: Miami event on January 30th.
Stepping into the cage with the 4-0 wrestler on the main card will be former UFC competitor Wes Sims (22-12-1 2nc).
Sims fought for the UFC in 2003-2004 though he failed to get a win in his three fights their. Last year the 30 year old re-emerged on The Ultimate Fighter Season 10, but he was defeated in the opening round by Justin Wren.
On his professional record he has won his last three fights in smaller promotions, though he had lost three prior to that.
Overall Sims is certainly a more experienced opponent than Yohan Banks (2-1) who he was originally expected to face before the bout was rejected by the commission. At the same time he’s not a world beater and has generally struggled to emerge with a victory against top flight competition.
At this stage it’s not for certain that Bobby Lashley falls into that category, but he’ll no doubt be confident his superior athleticism and wrestling base will be enough to emerge victorious.
With the Lashley bout confirmed the full Strikeforce card for the Miami event is now competed.
Strikeforce: Miami Fight Card:
Main card (Televised On Showtime):
- Nick Diaz vs. Marius Zaromskis (Vacant Welterweight Title)
- Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos vs. Marloes Coenen (Womans Featherweight Title)
- Robbie Lawler vs. Melvin Manhoef
- Bobby Lashley vs. Wes Sims
- Greg Nagy vs. Herschel Walker
- Jay Hieron vs. Joe Riggs
- Sabah Homasi vs. John Kelly
- Pablo Alfonso vs. Marcos da Matta
- Michael Byrnes vs. David Zitnik
- David Gomez vs. Craig Oxley
- Hayder Hassan vs. Ryan Keenan