Chris Lytle stepped into the Octagon on Saturday night on the back of his best ever run in the UFC, looking to go five fights unbeaten, and potentially even get into the title mix at 170lbs.

Instead a shock loss to UFC newcomer Brian Ebersole, who had been drafted in as a late replacement for the injured Carlos Condit, has left the 36 year-old contemplating retirement.

“He’s considering his options, and retirement is one of them,” Lytle’s manager Ken Pavia told MMAFighting following the event.

Pavia also revealed that Lytle fought Ebersole just four weeks after the meniscus removed from his right knee.

What’s even more remarkable about it is that ‘Lights Out’ made no mention of the operation either pre or post-fight.

“He’ll never use that stuff as an excuse, and the reason he tried to keep this quiet is because he wants to make sure that Ebersole gets all the credit in the world for his win, and for livening up the fight,” Pavia said.

That’s a testament to Lytle who’s one of the sport’s good guys, always respectful to his opponents, but equally willing to go to war to ensure that the fan’s get their money’s worth.

It’s a strategy that’s paid off handsomely for him, racking up five ‘Fight Of The Night’, Two ‘Submission Of The Night’ and one ‘Knockout Of The Night’ awards during his UFC career, earning him well over $300,000 in bonus money in the process.

Of course being in so many entertaining bouts over the years is bound to take it’s toll on his body, and that may be a major factor in his mind as he considers his future.

Only he can say for sure, but personally I haven’t noticed a deterioration in his fighting abilities in recent times, and would be happy to see him continue to compete in the Octagon if he still has the desire to do so.