Dana White has been somewhat quieter than normal heading into UFC 113 in Montreal, Canada on Saturday night with fewer media interviews and no fight week video blog. He was however present at the pre-fight press conference today and later spent time speaking to mmafighting’s Ariel Helwani.
Here’s some of the key notes from the interview.
– Dana believes that the rematch between Machida and Shogun will be “completely different,” due to the fact that, “Machida doesn’t like that people think that he didn’t win that fight and Shogun doesn’t like that he didn’t win that fight.”
– He says that no decision has been made yet as to whether the winner of Rampage Vs Evans will be next in line for a shot at whoever holds the light-heavyweight title after Saturday night.
– He did however confirm that the winner of the Koscheck Vs Daley fight will go up against Georges St.Pierre for the welterweight title.
– Dana was somewhat evasive when asked if the winner of Koscheck – Daley may coach the next season of TUF alongside GSP, stating that he could neither ‘confirm not deny’ that it was true. He did however reveal that the coaches would be officially announced at tomorrows UFC Q&A session.
– He states that he’s proud of Kimbo Slice for attempting to prove himself in the UFC rather than go and make money doing ‘freak show’ fights elsewhere. At the same time White was reluctant to make a definitive statement on whether Kimbo would remain with the promotion if he loses against Mitrione.
– As far as strikeforce getting back on board with Fedor Emelianenko, Dana said that it doesn’t surprise him as the company needed to keep him or else they would be left with “nothing else.” He went on to suggest that Strikeforce likely gave him a “ridiculous amount of money” to convince him to stay, and that this was a strategy that other promotions had tried and failed to make work in the past.
Watch Dana White’s full interview with Ariel Helwani below.