Fresh from UFC FIght Night 27, Dana White joins MMAfighting’s Ariel Helwani to talk about this weekend’s UFC 164 event below.
– Right off the bat Dana confirms that the plan going forward is to have Wednesday night shows on FOX Sports 1 followed by a PPV event on the Saturday. He’s not sure whether that’ll lead to better PPV numbers or not though.
– White’s not worried about having shows on Wednesday nights. It provides some challenges, but it’s not nearly as problematic as when they had to put out TUF on a Friday night.
– As far as he knows Anthony Pettis has had no problems with his recent knee injury and is 100% healthy.
– Dana seems to be OK with having Josh Barnett back in the UFC despite their differences in the past.
– If Frank Mir continues to lose White thinks the former champ might decide himself that it’s time to hang up his gloves.
– He’s not been overly impressed with Clay Guida at 145lbs so far, but he thinks Chad Mendes is the perfect fighter to bring out the best in him.
– There are plans in the work for Frankie Edgar’s next fight, but he wants to speak to him about it first.
– Alistair Overeem will get another fight in the UFC despite his recent losses.
– Uriah Hall will also get another opportunity to fight after calling Dana to assure him that his next fight will be different from his sub-par performances so far. White says he likes him, so he wants to believe that’s true.
– White is gutted for Stefan Struve who’s suffering from a heart condition. He says they couldn’t ask for a better fighter in the company and while he’s not sure whether he’ll be able to fight again, White says they’ll take care of him.