Following a UFC 207 event with some truly stunning results last night, Dana White appeared on the post-fight show on FOX Sports 1 to discuss the biggest talking points, and we’ve got the full video below, plus our own keynotes from the conversation.
– White called the co-main event between Cody Garbrandt and Dominick Cruz an “amazing” fight, praising the new champion for how easy he made his victory look against an elite fighter.
He also tipped his hat to Garbrandt for being the opposite of the hot-headed fighter that people had expected to see in the Octagon, keeping cool, calm and collected on his way to a memorable victory.
– The UFC President then discussed the shocking manner in which Ronda Rousey was finished, describing the fight as “crazy” and revealing that on his way out of the arena afterwards he saw fans crying.
– White noted that this was the biggest fight in Las Vegas history with almost 20,000 people in attendance at the new T-Mobile Arena, which, for the first time in it’s brief history, opened up extra ‘standing room only’ tickets to meet demand for the event.
– White had spent a lot of time with Rousey backstage after the fight and though he admitted she’s “devastated” and “upset”, he also said that she’s responding a lot better than she did after her KO loss to Holly Holm last year.
– Dana hit back at those who had critized the UFC for not promoting Amanda Nunes ahead of this fight, saying that even if he’d spent $100 million on getting the word out about her, it would have had the same impact in getting her name out there as this victory will do.
He says Nunes has now beaten two legends of the sport in Miesha Tate and Ronda Rousey, but he stopped short of saying who might come next.
– TJ Dillashaw had been saying backstage that he might get overlooked for a title shot next, but White laughed that off by calling him “a nut” and “a conspiracy theorist” before confirming that he will probably be getting the next bantamweight title shot against his ex-teammate and new champion of the division, Cody Garbrandt.
He thought that Dillashaw’s takedown threat made Lineker more hesitant than normal to implement his pressure style, and that helped the former champion make the fight look “easy” as he earned a convincing unanimous decision victory.
– Reflecting on the year gone by, White sums it up by quipped that, “2016 has been a bad year for celebrities, but it’s been a good year for the UFC.”