Following ‘UFC On FOX 5’ last night, UFC President Dana White spoke to Fuel TV’s Ariel Helwani about the night’s big talking points.
Check out a rundown of the key points from their conversation below and scroll down to watch the full interview for yourself.
– White saw exactly what he had predicted from Ben Henderson – leg kicks and wrestling. He thought he did a great job of implementing his gameplan and also showed an impressive gas-tank, noting that he wasn’t even tired at the end of five full rounds of fighting.
He thinks this should be the fight that gets Henderson the respect he deserves.
– He notes that Nate Diaz told him post-fight that he got hurt in one eye early in the fight and couldn’t see out of it.
– Regarding the controversy over Henderson appearing to have had a tooth pick in his mouth during the fight, White confirms he saw it in his mouth just after the fight finished. He shakes his head in disbelief at it and says he’s never seen anything like it. He doesn’t think he’ll be fined for it, but he believes the commission will be more vigilant to look for that kind of thing in the future.
– Alexander Gustafsson White with his win over shogun, saying that he looked great and “busted him up bad.”
However, the UFC President sounds hesitant about confirming him as the next No.1 contender in the division. Instead he says he feels he could get another fight in, and hints that Dan Henderson might not be able to fight Lyoto Machida due to his knee injury and that Gustafsson could take his place.
– White isn’t sure what’s next for Shogun, but he says he’s a tough as nails and that he has a lot of respect for him. He will leave it up to him to decide what he wants to do.
– A Rory MacDonald Vs Carlos Condit rematch is something that White is interested in and if that what MacDonald wants then he’ll try to make it happen.
He thinks MacDonald looked “better than he’s ever looked”
– White says that BJ Penn didn’t say so after the fight, but he predicts that he’ll now retire, and he thinks that’s a good idea, saying that everybody loves him and he’s got nothing left to prove.