After Bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz outpointed Urijah Faber at this past weekend’s UFC 132 event it’s now time for a new No.1 contender at 135lbs, but who will it be?

According to UFC matchmaker Sean Shelby after Saturday night’s event, “it could be Demetrious Johnson.”

‘Mighty Mouse’ is certainly a worth challenger, posting a 10-1 record and having won his last four fights in a row including two stand-out performances in the UFC against ‘Kid’ Yamamoto and Miguel Torres.

Even more impressively, his last win over Torres came despite later discovering that he had in fact broken his leg in the second round.

On the subject of the injury, Johnson is set to get a doctor’s check-up on the 12th of July where he’ll be hoping to get good news about his recovery. While nothing’s been said to this effect it seems likely that a thumbs up there could give the green-light for Johnson to be lined up for the title shot.

If Johnson isn’t able to take the fight then there are others lying in wait, such as former champion Brian Bowles who’s bounced back since losing the title with two wins in the UFC, and the UK’s Brad Pickett who holds a 2010 win over Johnson, or even an immediate rubber match with Urijah Faber.

SHARE
Previous articleChael Sonnen Says He Wants To Fight Lyoto Machida At 205lbs
Next articleSpike TV To Air UFC 133 and UFC 134 Prelim Specials
Ross launched MMA Insight (previously FightOfTheNight.com) in 2009 as a way to channel his passion for the sport of mixed martial arts. He's since penned countless news stories and live fight reports along with dozens of feature articles as the lead writer for the site, reaching millions of fans in the process.

LEAVE A REPLY