UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones turned himself in to the Alberquerque police last night after a warrant was issued for his arrest in relation to a hit and run incident on Sunday.
Jones was booked for a felony charge of leaving the scene of an accident involving death or personal injuries and released on $2,500 bail later that evening, covering his face and choosing not to speak to the waiting press as he left the building.
Charges relating to the incident had originally been expected to fall under the misdemeanor category, but were upgraded to felony status on Monday after it came to light that a pregnant 25 year-old woman, who Jones’ SUV rental car is alleged to have hit after running a red light, had broken her arm.
After the crash Jones was witnessed by an off-duty police officer fleeing the scene after briefly returning to his vehicle to grab a large amount of money. A search of the vehicle afterwards found documents belonging to Jones along with a marijuana pipe and some marijuana.
“I kind of freaked out and I was just more upset, you know, that he couldn’t at least stayed and at least said, ‘I’m sorry’ or something,” the pregnant victim told ABC affiliate KOAT7 Action News.
The UFC has so far not responded to the latest developments in the case and it’s unclear whether Jones will still be able to defend his title against Anthony Johnson in the main event of UFC 187 on May 23rd.
The organization had stood by Jones earlier this year when it emerged that he’d tested positive for cocaine following a pre-fight drugs test for his fight with Daniel Cormier at UFC 182, but there will now be more pressure on the UFC brass to punish the star despite his status as the current No.1 pound-for-pound fighter in mixed martial arts.