Appearing on The Ultimate Fighter is nothing new for Season 14 coach Michael Bisping. The UFC middleweight contender appeared as a fighter on Season 3 and went on to win the show, and then returned as a coach on the 9th season opposite Dan Henderson.
For this season of the show which has just started filming in las Vegas Bisping had been hoping to be competing against Chael Sonnen, but after he had a suspension upheld Jason ‘Mayhem’ Miller was drafted in instead.
Below you’ll find an interview with the media on the set of the new series as Bisping answers a range of questions related to the show. Here’s the keynotes:
– While Bisping feels that Mayhem is a well rounded and tough opponent he’s disappointed that he’s not facing a fighter higher up the rankings since he’s eager to strengthen his case for a title shot at 185lbs.
– The UK fighter says that being asked to be on TUF again was too good an opportunity to turn down even though he had swore he’d never do it again. He is disappointed that doing the show means he’ll be out of action for most of the year at a time when he feels that he’s at his peak, but he thinks that the exposure will be good for his career in the longer term.
– Aside from a few digs about him being from the UK Bisping says that there’s no real beef between him and Mayhem so far on set, but it’s very early days and given their outspoken personalities he’s bracing himself for the possibility of it happening at some stage.
– Jorge Rivera is a name that still appears to boil Bisping’s blood. Rivera had engaged in a trash-talking campaign against him prior to their fight in February and even several months later it’s still a topic of conversation that clearly angers him. He points out that though he apologized to Rivera and his camp for spitting at them after the fight, that they have offered no apology in return for their actions.
– After his last fight there was talk of Bisping moving to Australia, but he reveals he’s since had a change of heart and is now moving to Orange County, California. He’s not decided where he’s going to train yet and may even start up his own gym.