Heavyweight contender Sean McCorkle got his first taste of UFC action both inside and outside of the cage at UFC 119.
Making his debut off the back of a 9-0 record on the regional circuit McCorkle made short work of PRIDE veteran Mark Hunt in the opening bout of the event, submitting him after just 63 seconds.
After having to time to reflect on the whole experience McCorkle decided to post on The UG forum some behind the scenes info on what it’s like to be a fighter at a major UFC event
- The UFC has a new policy where they are not tolerating anyone not making weight anymore. They’re not giving you more time to make the weight, and might not let you fight at all if you don’t make it the first time.
- The UFC gives every fighter a per diem that is way more than you would spend on food even if you’re paying for all your cornermen as well.
- They also give you a gym bag full of free UFC stuff the contents of which has to be worth more than $1,000 retail.
- I signed almost 200 UFC 119 posters when I first got there as did every other fighter, and they are given to sponsors as well as every fighter receiving one. I gave mine to one of my friends and now I regret it because that’s pretty badass.
- The photo shoot and video shoot is done at the hotel, and some really cool makeup artist with huge boobs puts glitter and oil on you.
- The new ring girl is even hotter in person, and she has zero interest in me.
- At the weigh in as I got off the scale, Dana said “Welcome to the UFC buddy” When Mark Hunt and I were doing the stare down, I said “You better not try to punch me in the face”
- All of the fighters were able to warm up in the Octagon for an hour about 3 hours before the fights began. It was a little weird being in there at the same time with Mark Hunt, so to break the tension, I had my cornerman repeatedly warm up my arm by standing in the center of the cage with me, and raising it over and over again.
Pretty interesting stuff, and from the sounds of it the UFC are treating fighter’s well behind the scenes, even the new guys like McCorkle.
I’m sure there’s a sliding scale here though. For instance I’m guessing that GSP must get at least two make-up girls with huge boobs applying his oil and glitter. If not then he definitely needs to start new contract negotiations ASAP.