Shark Fights put on their 17th event on Friday night, airing live on HDNet.
The main event saw two former UFC fighters locking horns for a second time, and on this occasion it was Jake Rosholt who emerged with a clear-cut unanimous decision victory over Matt Horwich after outwrestling him for much of the 15 minutes.
The win takes Rosholt’s post-UFC record to 6-1 (1nc), and due to the fact he’s now six fights unbeaten he’s making a strong case to make a re-entry into the promotion’s middleweight ranks.
Horwich on the other hand has not been fairing so well. Despite some notable wins since he left the UFC in Early 2009, including over Thales Leites, Jason Lambert and a prior victory over Rosholt, Horwich has also picked up his fair share of losses along the way, leaving his own post-UFC record at 3-6.
Meanwhile in the co-main event of the evening another former UFC fighter Ricco Rodriguez was busy notching up his 12th victory in a row as he also tries to forge a path back to the big stage.
On this occasion it was a relatively easy task seizing the victory against Doug Williams who stepped in on less than 24 hours notice to take this fight and ended up being caught in a rear-naked choke submission just 2.16mins into the fight.
Rodriguez now moves on to one of his toughest tests in recent times at Bellator 48 in August where he’ll meet Seth Petruzelli.
See the full list of results from last night’s Shark Fights event below.
- Jake Rosholt def. Matt Horwich via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Ricco Rodriguez def. Doug Williams via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 2:16
- Emanuel Newton def. Ilir Latifi via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Erik Perez def. Douglas Frey via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Alan Jouban def. Andrew Goldthwaite via knockout (punches) – Round 3, 2:37
- Victor Hernandez def. Quaint Kempf via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 1:06
- Matt Hobar def. Jay Flores via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 1:55