The fighter earning’s for Saturday night’s Strikeforce: Barnett vs Kharitonov have now been released and show a surprising number of fighters earning six figure sums.
Topping the list is main event star Josh Barnett who took home $150,000 for his victory over sergei Kharitonov who earned $100,000.
Also earning $100,000 were co-main event stars Daniel Cormier and Antonio ‘Bigfoot’ silva.
Other notable earners on the night included ‘King Mo’ who picked up $85,000, Roger Gracie with $80,000 and Ronaldo Souza with $70,000.
While it’s great to see the fighters earning substantial amounts for their efforts in the cage you have to question whether it’s good business for Strikeforce to be paying out sums that are competitive with the UFC, particularly given the fact that reports from inside the arena at the weekend suggested the event was a huge flop as far as ticket sales go with estimates of just 1,500 fans in attendance.
Dana White has gone on record before saying that the only way they would keep the promotion running would be if they could make it profitable, and in this instance it’s hard to believe they have been successful in that regard.
I wrote in an article yesterday that the writing now seems on the wall for Strikeforce and sadly these over-inflated salaries only strengthen that case.
See the full list of salaries resulting from the event below.
- Josh Barnett: $150,000 (no win bonus)
- Sergei Kharitonov: $100,000
- Daniel Cormier: $100,000 (includes $50,000 win bonus)
- Antonio Silva: $100,000
- Luke Rockhold: $50,000 (includes $25,000 win bonus)
- Ronaldo Souza: $70,000
- Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal: $85,000 (no win bonus)
- Roger Gracie: $80,000
- Pat Healy: $17,500 (includes $5,000 win bonus)
- Maximo Blanco: $13,000
- Mike Kyle: $44,000 (includes $22,000 win bonus)
- Marcos Rogerio de Lima: $5,000
- Rafael “Feijao” Cavalcante: $60,000 (includes $30,000 win bonus)
- Yoel Romero: $10,000
- Jordan Mein: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus)
- Evangelista “Cyborg” Santos: $20,000
- Alexis Davis: $6,000 (includes $3,000 win bonus)
- Amanda Nunes: $7,500
- Dominique Steele: $5,000 (includes $3,000 win bonus)
- Chris Mierzwiak: $3,000