Strikeforce Challengers 13 kicked off the promotion’s 2011 calender last night with a solid selection of up and coming stars filling out the main card.
Many of the bouts ended in decision, with Tyron Woodley picking up a unanimous win over Tarec Saffiedine to stretch his unbeaten career record to 8-0, while Ovince St.Preux and Daniel Cormier were also victorious over three rounds.
The real fireworks came in the only woman’s bout of the televised card as the hard-hitting Amanda Nunes took just 14 seconds to dismantle Julia Budd, stunning her with a right hand before dropping her moments later with a left, and following up with hammerfists to finish.
It was an impressive debut that leaves her on a six fight winning streak, all by TKO. With a lack of suitable challengers at 145lbs for Cris ‘Cyborg’ Santos, Nunes may find herself in a title fight before long, though ideally she should be given more time to make her mark in Strikeforce first.
Finally Kimbo Slice’s cousin Rhadi Ferguson looked far from the finished article in his debut, but was able to take advantage of late replacement John Richards quickly emptying gas tank to win by a heel hook in the second round.
Check out the full results from the televised card below.
- Tyron Woodley def. Tarec Saffiedine via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Ovince St. Preux def. Ron “Abongo” Humphrey via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Daniel Cormier def. Devin Cole via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Amanda Nunes def. Julia Budd via KO (strikes) – Round 1, 0:14
- Rhadi Ferguson def. John Richard via submission (heel hook) – Round 2, 2:00