After his fight with Antonio Silva was stopped due to his eye swelling completely shut, Fedor Emelianenko now unsurprisingly faces an indefinite suspension.
More pressingly, the Russian fighter has to have a CT scan of his head and facial bones to see the extent of the damage done to his face during a sustained ground and pound assault by ‘Big Foot’ in the second round of their quarter final bout in Strikeforce’s Heavyweight Grand-Prix.
It was also a tough night for Andrei Arlovski who was KO’d in the first round of his fight with Sergei Kharitonov, and he is suspended for 30 days as a result.
Luckily it appears however that the two fighters who progressed in the tournament this evening – Silva and Kharitonov escaped without injury, and therefore are now fit to proceed to their semi-final bouts later in the year.
See the full list of medical suspensions resulting from the Strikeforce: Fedor Vs Silva event below.
- Fedor Emelianenko: suspended indefinitely pending CT scan of head and facial bones. Also suspended 90 days for head strikes
- Andrei Arlovski: suspended 30 days for knockout
- Chad Griggs: suspended 30 days for hematoma on ear
- Gian Villante: suspended 30 days for precautionary reasons
- Don Carlo-Clauss: suspended 30 days for laceration healing
- Anthony Leone: suspended indefinitely pending clearance by ear, nose and throat doctor for damage to nose; also suspended 90 days for healing.