The fighter’s for tomorrow night’s UFC 118 event have now successfully made weight in Boston.
Much of the focus leading up to this show has been on the Randy Couture Vs James Toney bout and the two fighters certainly got a strong response from the crowd.
For Toney that consisted mainly of boos, and he took that in his stride, cupping his hand to his ear and asking for more. If Toney has been training hard for the fight then it certainly didn’t show in his weight, coming in at a portly 237lbs, as heavy as he’s been in his career.
Couture came in to the biggest reception of the weigh-ins with fans chanting his name. He looked relaxed and came in at a toned 220lbs.
In the main event BJ Penn came in to a largely positive reaction from the Boston crowd, while somewhat surprisingly the mild-mannered champion Frankie Edgar attracted a lot boos. After both men weighed in at 154lbs they then entered into a staredown in which Penn calmly smiled at Edgar as if to say that he knew something the champion didn’t.
Elsewhere the process went smoothly and naturally Boston natives like Kenny Florian and Joe Lauzon received a big hometown welcome.
- Frankie Edgar (154) vs. B.J. Penn (154)
- Randy Couture (220) vs. James Toney (237)
- Kenny Florian (156) vs. Gray Maynard (156)
- Marcus Davis (170) vs. Nate Diaz (171)
- Demian Maia (184) vs. Mario Miranda (185)
- Joe Lauzon (156) vs. Gabe Ruediger (155)
- Nik Lentz (155) vs. Andre Winner (154)
- Dan Miller (185) vs. John Salter (185)
- Nick Osipczak (171) vs. Greg Soto (170)
- Amilcar Alves (171) vs. Mike Pierce (171)