Following UFC 122 some of the victorious fighters at the event joined Dana White at the post-fight press conference to talk about the night’s fights.
See below for a rundown of what they had to say.
– Read about the bonus awards here.
– Attendance: 8,421 for a gate of $600,000.
– Alessio Sakara had flu-like symptoms which forced him off the card. Dana says they gave him as long as possible but in the end he just couldn’t fight.
– White confirms Okami will get a title shot after his victory, though he wasn’t overly enamoured with his performance. “Was that the most exciting fight you’ve ever seen? No it was not, but he went in there against a very tough guy in Nate Marquardt and won.”
– Yushin Okami says it’s been a goal of his to fight for the title and have a second fight with Anderson Silva and he hopes Silva wins against Vitor Belfort so the rematch can happen.
– Dana vows that they will, “continue to come and continue to put on events here [in Germany].” He says that they made a statement by returning here despite political resistance and the sport being banned on TV.
– Marek Lieberberg, who’s helped the UFC’s push into Germany, says he feels the event was a success and that they experienced much less resistance this time in the country compared to the UFC’s debut here last year.
Lieberberg counts wins for German fighters like Denis Siver and Pascal Krauss amongst the positives emerging from the event.
– White also praised Denis Siver in particular, saying that he was moved up to the co-main event due to Sakara’s illness and with his performance he looked like a co-main event fighter.
– People have, “jumped the gun,” in stating that the UFC will hold an event in Brazil in November, 2011 according to Dana, but he does feel they will get there within the next year.
– France in particular and also Italy are the European destinations that the UFC is looking to break into next.
– After his victory this evening in the prelims Kyle Noke says he’d like to fight on the next UFC: Australia card in February if possible, but really will fight wherever the UFC wants him to.
– One reporter seems convinced that Nate Marquardt must not have been 100% after the performance he gave in the octagon, but Marquardt denies that saying the he was in great shape and had a great camp.
He goes on to say that he felt he landed the harder shots and wasn’t hurt by Okami’s strikes. “I felt I did enough to win,” he admits. He’s keeping his chin up though, adding, “Either way I’m still one of the best and I’m going to get back in there and be the champ one day.”
He’s clearly unsure why the decision went against him and says he’ll need to watch the tape again to see what went wrong but thinks that perhaps he needed to put together his combination’s better.
– Kryz Soszynski says he broke his hand during the fight. Says his hand was “on fire” in the third round but he kept using it anyway. He goes on to point to his conditioning as a key factor in his victory, saying cardio is one of his main strengths.
– Dennis Siver wants to fight the men who have defeated him previously next – Ross Pearson, Melvin Guillard and Gray Maynard – stating that he now feels he’s good enough to defeat them. He adds that he’s been working on both his jiu-jitsu and wrestling to improve as a fighter.
Dana says he’s already spoken to Joe Silva about who they might like him to face next, but he doesn’t name the fighter.
– “All signs are pointing to yes,” for a return to Abu Dhabi in 2011 says White, but no date has been set yet.
Watch Highlights from the press conference below courtesy of kimura.se: