Following today’s UFC 128 pre-fight press conference in New York, Dana White took time to speak to Ariel Helwani about a number of topical issues.
– Dana says that, “anything is possible,” with regards to the UFC’s recent purchase of Strikeforce, but that the deal is so fresh that it’s too early to make definitive statements.
– Lorenzo Fertitta will meet Showtime execs next week to discuss what happens next for Strikeforce, but Dana is working under the assumption that they will want to continue airing the promotion’s events.
– The UFC president says meeting with officials in NYC regarding the legalization of MMA in the state went well, but he gives no indication that he expects any kind of movement with the regards to the issue soon.
– Dana says he’s shocked that ‘Shogun’ Rua is the underdog heading into the Jon Jones fight given his experience in the sport.
– He goes on to say that the UFC are very proud of their new show: ‘UFC Presents: In The Moment With Jon Jones’ which airs on Spike TV this Thursday. “It’s an awesome show,” he says.
– Despite recent rumors that Urijah Faber and Dominick Cruz may coach TUF 14, Dana reveals that the UFC never said that would be the case.
– White admits he’s not sure if this will a do-or-die fight for Mirko Cro Cop against Brendan Schaub, and says the Croatian is like Randy Couture in that you think he’s going to retire and then he continues fighting.
– Regarding Nate Marquardt, White says the fighter doesn’t have to prove anything to him, only to himself. He states his belief that Marquardt is good enough to get another shot at the title, but he doesn’t let himself go enough in fights.
– Finally, White says that despite a twitter campaign started by Wanderlei Silva to have him fight Chris Leben, the UFC wants Wand to fight fellow countryman Vitor Belfort. Apparently Belfort is willing to take the fight, so it’s down to Silva to accept.
Watch the full interview below courtesy of MMAfighting.