Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira has told Brazilian talk show ‘Globo Esporte’ that he will fight at August’s UFC 134: Rio event.

“The biggest MMA promotion in the world will be back in Brazil after 14 years and I’ll be there, steady and strong,” he said on Saturday.

Despite being on of Brazil’s biggest MMA stars, there’s had been a big question mark over ‘Big Nog’s’ chances of fighting at the UFC 134: Rio event in August due to his ongoing struggle to return to full fitness after surgeries to both his hips and knees which has left him out of action for well over a year.

Nogueira had always made it clear that he had a desire to fight at the event, the first UFC show in Brazil in well over a decade, and it seems that’s spurred him on to finally set a date for his long-awaited return.

Interestingly, Nogueira suggested on the show that he will have a prominent role in the main card of the show.

“Anderson Silva will fight in the main event [against Yushin Okami] and I’m looking forward to fighting in the co-main event,” he said.

It’s not clear yet if that’s definitely the case, or simply Nogueira’s hope, given that a previously confirmed bout between Mauricio ‘Shogun’ Rua and Forrest Griffin currently stands out as an obvious co-main event.

‘Big Nog’s’ opponent is not yet known, but last week there was increased talk about a possible rematch with fellow PRIDE star Mirko Cro Cop.

LEAVE A REPLY