Below you’ll find notes from today’s UFC 139 press conference.
– Cung Le is “very honored to be fighting for the UFC and very excited to fight Wanderlei.”. He claims he was just as pleased to fight Silva as he was his orginally scheduled opponent, Vitor Belfort.
– Dana White says it’s “crazy” that Shogun and Hendo haven’t fought before given that they are two of the top fighters in the division and competed in PRIDE in it’s heyday. That fact made this an obvious fight to put on now that Hendo is back in the UFC.
– White has wanted Le in the UFC for a long time.
– “Me and Dan [Henderson] but heads from time to time, but we get along just fine,” White says with a smile.
– “I guess it’s a little bit ironic that everytime I win a title Dana White has to buy the company to get me back,” Henderson jokes.
– Henderson says he wasn’t excited about fighting anyone else in the Strikeforce’s roster and had his eye on fighters in the UFC so things worked well out for him.
Hendo is “not fond of cutting weight right now” and so he wants to keep fighting at light-heavyweight. He would only go down to middleweight to fight Anderson Silva.
– White says a Hendo Vs Anderson Silva rematch is a possibility, but he has to get past Shogun first and then they’ll see what comes next.
– Wanderlei says he grew up with the sport and still loves it so he plans to keep fighting as long as he can.
– Shogun is very happy that a fight with Henderson that PRIDE fans wanted but never got is finally going to happen.
– Le claims that being the co-main event in a UFC event is “a dream come true,” and he’s “ready to give the fans what they want to see.”
– Silva says he fights better when his back is against the wall like now when his career is on the line.
– Josh Koscheck stated recently that he wanted to fight at UFC 139 and White jokes that if he and team-mate Jon Fitch want to compete against each other then he’d be more than happy to set that up.
– Asked how he intends to prepare for Silva’s brawling style and BJJ skills, Cung Le smiles and says “that’s a secret.”
– Dana White reveals that Anderson Silva’s shoulder injury at UFC 134 left him requiring eight weeks out.
– Former PRIDE fighters Hendo and Silva would both like to appear in the UFC’s return to Japan early next year if possible.
– Shogun felt Jon Jones “pretty much controlled his fight” with Rampage Jackson at the weekend. He’s not thinking about a rematch with him right now though as he’s focused on fighting Henderson.
As for Rampage calling Shogun out, he says he thought it was “pretty cool” and he believes it’s a rematch that will happen at some stage in the future. He adds that he likes Rampage’s personality a lot.