As if they didn’t have enough on their plate this weekend the UFC decided to hold a UFC 141 pre-fight press conference prior to the ‘UFC On FOX 1’ weigh-ins today.
In attendance were UFC president Dana White and the two main event stars Brock Lesnar and Alistair Overeem.
See below for our keynotes from the presser.
– There’s a full weigh-ins crowd here for the presser so it’s extremely noisy making for a great atmosphere, but the fighters are having trouble hearing the questions from the assembled media.
– Overeem says he’s “very happy to join the UFC family and is ready to get it on.”
– Lesnar jokes that it took “about six hours” for him to get back to 100% after his surgery. “I’m back and I feel good.”
– “Alistair has done a lot of good things overseas and had a lot of fights. It’s an honor for me to get to fight and kick his ass,” Lesnar states.
– Lesnar reveals he’s currently walking around at 278lbs.
– Overeem is currently training at Xtreme Couture and he’s enjoying it so far and has been welcomed with open arms, though he’s not sure if he’ll stay there or not.
– Dana White says the heavyweight division “would suck” without Lesnar so he’s very happy he’s back and healthy.
– Overeem believes he has 10 times Lesnar’s strength and claims “I’m going to tear this guy apart.”
– Lesnar says it doesn’t matter where Overeem trains.
– White believes this fight will have a lot of buzz surrounding it so he’s not worried that the fight is going to be on a Friday rather than the usual Saturday spot.
– Overeem didn’t want to fight for the title first as he likes to stay active and didn’t want to wait for the Velasquez Vs Dos Santos bout to take place first.
– Overeem predicts Cain Velasquez is a slight favorite to win, while Lesnar is also tipping the champion to win.
– Asked how he feels about Junior Dos Santos, Lesnar sarcastically replies, “Oh, we’re BFF’s now.”
– “I’m trying to build up my confidence and stamina,” Lesnar reveals of his training camp for this fight. He doesn’t have a lot of big name fighters in his camp though, with Pat Barry being the most notable one.
– “When” he fights Velasquez for a second time Lesnar intends to “slow the fight down” rather than “running and gunning” like he did in their first fight.
– Overeem isn’t doing anything particularly different in terms of his conditioning for this fight, but assures everyone that he will be well prepared for this fight.