Following this evening’s UFC on Fuel TV 2 event in Sweden the stars of the show joined Dana White to talk to the press at the post-fight press conference.
Check out our keynotes from the presser below.
– Madadi admits he was a little bit nervous to fight in front of his home fans, but he thinks it was a great night and he hopes everyone enjoyed his win.
– Siyar Bahadurzada thinks he might have broken his hand winning his fight by KO. He threw an unorthadox punch that he says is something between a hook and an uppercut that he’s found in the past can be effective. He also adds that he also hurt his hand in training, but there was no way he was going to miss this opportunity to fight in the UFC.
– Dana White thinks the Swedish crowd were amazing and were very noisy, but also very knowledgeable.
– White thinks it’s a little early to compare Gustafsson to Jon Jones, but he says he’s definitely got a lot of talent and there’s been a buzz about him in Las Vegas amongst the fighters he’s been training with there.
White has no idea how many more fights he needs before he’d have the opportunity to fight for the title.
– Brad Pickett was “over the moon” to win his fight and says that’s the most important thing for him – to get the win. He does however say that you need to find a balance between winning fights, but being boring and losing fights yet being exciting.
– John Maguire admits he was nervous for this fight on the main card and is just glad he came away with a victory.
– Dana was very impressed with Pickett and says he’s been singing his praises all the way to this presser. He was happy with the entire fight card tonight.
– Pickett isn’t phased where he fights, whether in front of his home fans or not, he just feels a pressure from himself to be a winner.
– Maguire jokes that he’s ranked a pink belt in Gypsy Jiu-Jitsu. he reveals that he’s not ranked in any Jiu-Jitsu belt and has only wore the gi a couple of times in his life, so the name GJJ is just a bit of fun that he’s having since he’s from a gypsy / travelling background in the UK.
– Thiago Silva admits he struggled to find his distance against Gustafsson, saying that he was just too fast and had a big reach. He refuses to blame it just on his own ring rust after his long layoff.
– Gustafsson arrives at the presser and states that he wants to fight top 5 fighters from now on. He doesn’t have to fight Jon Jones next, but says he’ll be ready when the opportunity comes.
– The UFC are still invested in the UK market and won’t give up on it even though getting the right TV deal has been more difficult to acquire than they had anticipated.
– White agrees with Gutsafsson that he should be fighting top 5 guys now and attempting to work his way up to a title shot. if he did get that far then he says it “wouldn’t suck” to see a title fight with Gustafsson happen in Sweden.
– White likes the time-zone difference here as they can now air the event back in the U.S live in the afternoon thanks to Fuel TV (as opposed to doing it on tape delay in the evening’s as they did on Spike TV in the past).
– Dana reveals that they are still trying to lock down their next event in Rio, and the date isn’t yet set in stone. The problem is that there’s a United Nations Conference happening at the same time which is causing problems both on a political level and also in simply having enough hotel rooms available for fans.
– Dana won’t go into the topic of Alistair Overeem’s failed drugs test too heavily as he says he doesn’t have the temperament to talk about it calmly (i.e he’s pissed about it!). He says in the end once Overeem’s had his day in court to explain himself someone else from the UFC will talk to the press about it – not him.
– Again showing his Gypsy roots, Maguire jokes he’s going to buy his mum a new caravan with chrome wheels with his bonus money.
White quips that it’s like a real-life version of “Snatch” here.
As for Pickett, he reveals that any money he’s earned in his career has gone back into his training – he doesn’t own a car or a house. He hopes that the money he’s earning now (including two ‘Fight Of The Night’ bonuses) can finally allow him to buy those things.
White sounds shocked at Pickett’s revelation and assures him that he’s earning enough now that he can buy a car!
– Bahadurzada only trained with one main MMA fighter for this fight since he left the Golden Glory camp recently. He plans to go to America now though and set up a proper camp their.
– India is the next country to get a version of TUF, then Australia Vs UK, Canada and Philippines, though he doesn’t know which will come first.
– Dana believes MMA should be an Olympic sport, especially since a lot of the individual martial arts involved in the sport are already featured at the Olympics.
– White was impressed with the new Swedish talent on show tonight and feels that in general the talent pool here is very strong and can compete on a world level.
– Gustafsson didn’t feel any pressure from the crowd today and he loved the fan support both in the fight and at the weigh-ins.
Dana White disagrees and says there was a ton of pressure on the Swede.
– White shuts down any hope of Mark Hunt getting a title shot against Junior Dos Santos despite fan’s rallying for it. He does think Hunt will get a top 5 opponent in the heavyweight division next though if he can get past Stefan Struve at UFC 146.