An hour before the main card of UFC 122 was due to go live last week in Germany it was announced that Alessio Sakara had decided to withdraw from his co-main event with Jorge Rivera due to, “flu-like symptoms.”
According to UK journalist Gareth A. Davies on MMA Live yesterday however, the reality may in fact have been that the middleweight fighter was suffering from the effects of a drastic weight-cut.
“Well you can’t make full accusations about this Jon,” Davies says before making a full accusation, “But I have it on good authority that 8 or 9 days before bout was due to take place; Alessio Sakara was walking around at 220 pounds.”
“He failed to show for the fighter workouts on the Thursday in Italy. He was walking around the fight hotel looking very gaunt and ghostlike. When you take that much weigh off, that quickly, it does bring on illness sometimes and I do fear this may have happened here with Alessio Sakara.”
“And it doesn’t do him any favors with the UFC, I can guarantee you that.”
Adding credence to the story, Davies had in fact mentioned on last week’s MMA Live show before the event took place that Sakara was looking gaunt.
Also, in an interview prior to the fight Sakara admitted that inbetween fights he can balloon up to as much as 250lbs, a remarkable size for a man that fights at 185lbs.
“I’m a fat guy,” Sakara told MMAJunkie. “I like food very much.”
In the same interview Sakara also suggested that he may move up to heavyweight before the end of his career. If Davies story is true then the UFC may start to encourage him to do so sooner rather than later to avoid another situation like this in the future.