Last week’s WEC 51: Aldo Vs Gamburyan event helped the promotion regain momentum on Versus with an average of 486,000 viewers tuning in to the three hour live show.
That figure is a marked improvement on recent WEC events, up 170,000 from last months WEC 50 show, making it the second highest drawing WEC event in the past 12 months.
In fairness the event had been expected to do well with a host of the promotion’s biggest name stars like Jose Aldo, Donald Cerrone, Jamier Varner and Miguel Torres all competing on the main card.
Some might say that it should have done even better – for instance WEC 46: Henderson Vs Cerrone drew 640,000 in January.
It’s worth bearing in mind however that WEC 51 was shown live on a Thursday night rather than it’s customary Sunday night slot on the channel which is likely to have had an adverse effect on the overall ratings.
WEC Ratings From October 2009 – September 2010:
- WEC 51 (Aldo vs. Gamburyan): 486,000 viewers
- WEC 50 (Cruz vs. Benavidez II): 316,000
- WEC 49 (Varner vs. Shalorus): 324,000
- WEC 48 (Aldo vs. Faber): n/a (aired on PPV)
- WEC 47 (Bowles vs. Cruz): 373,000 viewers
- WEC 46 (Varner vs. Henderson): 640,000
- WEC 45 (Cerrone vs. Ratcliff): 330,000
- WEC 44 (Brown vs. Aldo): 414,000
- WEC 43 (Cerrone vs. Henderson): 419,000