In recent weeks it’s become somewhat of a common occurrence for fighters to be pulled from UFC events on short-notice due to positive Covid-19 tests, and in a recent Q&A Dana White admitted it’s been a crazy time, but says the promotion are handling it as well as they can.
“Look at the history here,” White told reporters on Tuesday night. “Look at what we’ve done and how it’s all worked out. One of the things that we’re not doing that other sports are doing is there’s people that keep testing positive but they have no symptoms and they’re not contagious. They’re letting those guys play, whether it’s the NBA or Major League Baseball. We’re not. That’s the difference.”
Last weekend’s show was particularly badly hit by coronavirus call-offs, leading to a card that contained just seven fights, but White feels they’ve managed to roll with the punches and are continuing on undeterred.
“We just had a situation last week where they tested negative, negative, then tested positive,” White explained. “This thing is f*ckin wacky and you do the best you can. We’re doing everything the right way and, who knows with this thing? Nobody has been able to get this thing figured out yet. We’ve been solid.”
White has so far avoided catching Covid-19 himself, despite not appearing to be particularly concerned about adhering to current guidelines about social distancing and mask-wearing, and the frequency of positive tests lately in the UFC doesn’t seem to be giving him second thoughts about continuing to do so.
“Think about me: I’ve been there, I shake their hands, I do all this other stuff and I haven’t had COVID,” White said. “I will shake people’s hands until the day I die.”