At Saturday night’s ‘UFC On FOX 5’ event after convincingly beating BJ Penn, weltereweight star Rory MacDonald called out Carlos Condit for a rematch, and it seems that the former No.1 contender is ready to accept that challenge.

Fuel TV’s Ariel Helwani got the scoop after chatting with Condit on the set of the ‘UFC Tonight’ show last night.

“I’m in.” That’s all Carlos Condit said,” Helwani reveals.  “He said the fight makes a lot of sense to him and he thinks the fans will love it, so it appears we’ll have a rematch.”

Condit previously fought MacDonald back in 2010 and looked well on his way to being beaten in the first two rounds, before producing a remarkable comeback in the third which saw him finish the Canadian by TKO just 7 seconds before the final bell.

MacDonald said at the weekend that the loss still haunts him, though he’s bounced back strongly, winning four fights in a row to reaffirm his status as one of the best young fighters in the sport today.

Meanwhile Condit logged in a further three victories in impressive fashion that earned him a title shot against MacDonald’s team-mate Georges St.Pierre last month, but he fell short, losing by decision.

For MacDonald facing one of the best fighters in the division not only will help exorcise the demons of their previous encounter, but also could put him close to a shot at the belt, while a second win over MacDonald would be the perfect way for Condit to get right back on track and remain one of the key players in the 170lb weight class.

UFC President Dana White has already indicated that he’d be willing to put this rematch together, so expect to see it being lined up for sometime in the early months of next year.

LEAVE A REPLY