Amanda Nunes had been slated to defend her featherweight title against Felicia Spencer on the UFC’s upcoming May 9th event at an as-yet undisclosed destination, but she’s now revealed that she’s pulled out of the show.
“Actually, I’m not fighting May 9,” Nunes told CBS Sports. “I’m going to fight, [but] I don’t know yet. I don’t think this is the right time for me right now to fight. Let this coronavirus pass a little bit so I can at least have a full camp. We can maybe see around June, [but] let’s see what is going to happen. But I’m not fighting [May 9].”
Nunes then went into more detail about the limited training that she’s been restricted to due to the coronavirus outbreak.
“The gym opened just for people that has fights coming up,” Nunes said. “It’s not many people, just me and a couple guys that are going to be on the same card as me. We all have separate training with just me and my coach, one on one.
”I keep in shape like that. I go to the gym only one time in the morning and do everything. I do a couple of things by myself and some things that I need a coach. Then I come home and I really do everything I need to keep in shape. I have a treadmill and some weights.”
This is clearly far from ideal for a two-weight champion and so it’s hard to blame her for wanting to pump the breaks on returning to the Octagon until she can get a full fight camp under her belt.