Latest Posts

Dana White To Give Donald Cerrone Final Chance To Get Back To Winning Ways

Dana White has decided to give Donald Cerrone one last chance to get back to winning ways after the fighter suffered another TKO loss on Saturday night against late replacement Alex Morono.

‘Cowboy’ has now gone six fights without a win, and suffered four TKO losses along the way, but a last ditch drop down to lightweight appears to now be on the cards for the 38-year-old.

“Cowboy’ again steps up, Diego (Sanchez) falls out of the fight, he steps up and takes a last-minute replacement, co-main event,” White told TSN’s Aaron Bronsteter. “What he wants to do – he accepted the Diego fight because they both said they would fight at 170,” White said. “He wants to move down to ’55 and get another fight, and I’m going to let him do that.”

White’s words will no doubt be welcomed by Cerrone, who had vowed not to hang up his gloves on a TKO loss after his fight on Saturday night.

“I’ll never go out like this,” Cerrone had said. “There’s no way I’ll end like this. I couldn’t let my legacy end like this.”

In some ways the drop down to lightweight makes sense, but it does somewhat paper over the cracks as Cerrone had actually suffered two TKO losses in a row before moving up to welterweight.

Since then he’s gone a further four fights without a win, and it’s worth noting that two of those came against two fighters who were competing above their natural weight class in Conor McGregor and Anthony Pettis.

So, the alarm bells are definitely ringing loud and clear at this late stage in ‘Cowboy’s’ career, but no-one will be surprised that he still has the desire to get back on the horse despite his troubling losing streak.

Latest Posts

Don't Miss