It’s far from a done deal yet, but Dana White has revealed that Conor McGregor’s next fight may well be against Donald Cerrone on the UFC’s first pay-per-view event of 2020 on January 18th in Las Vegas.
“We have nothing done,” White told TMZ. “Nothing is even close to being done, so I hate to even talk about this stuff and say it because it might not happen. It might happen, but we’re looking at “Cowboy” [Donald Cerrone].”
“No. 3 versus No. 5, Jan. 18 at the T-Mobile [Arena] in Las Vegas.”
McGregor himself had previously announced during a recent media tour in Russia that he intended to fight in January, though he had stopped short of naming his opponent.
“I would like to announce the return of ‘The Notorious’ Conor McGregor will take place on Jan. 18 in the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada,” McGregor said.
“So that is my comeback fight, it’s 12 weeks this Saturday. I’m in prime physical condition. I’ve agreed the date with the company. As far as the opponent, I have the opponent’s name, but for me and the game that I’m in, and from experience, if I was to give you people the name – which I would love to do – I know the UFC would flip it because they are a crafty company.”
Almost a week ago Cerrone had also hinted that the fight might be in the works, and was also pictured dressed up as a Lephrechaun at a Halloween party.