According to reports from The Mirror, Conor McGregor’s manager Audie Attar has claimed ‘talks are progressing’ over his comeback fight with Donald Cerrone.
According to the report, the former Ultimate Fighting Championship featherweight and lightweight champion is due to make his long-awaited return to the octagon on January 18.
And McGregor’s manager has confirmed negotiations are underway between the two fighters and believes an announcement is not far away.
“I would say that talks have been progressing. We’ve met them, we’re in close communication with them,” he said.
“I would hope that an announcement could happen in the coming weeks, but at the end of the day, it’s still a work in progress.”
Upon announcing his comeback plans last month, the Irishman noted that he intends to fight three times in the New Year 2020. His manager as well backed his statement and claimed that the said plan has little to do with money. Instead, it’s more about proving to the MMA world that “The Notorious” is at his best when he’s able to stay active.
“When you look back to when he was winning fights, he was fighting often. He wasn’t fighting once a year, he was fighting often, he was staying active,” Attar emphasized.
“He never has to fight one fight more in his life. At the end of the day, that’s the thing people forgot about him; he actually is a competitor. He dares to do things differently,” Attar added.
The MMA world has witnessed how McGregor made a name for himself in the sport. And according to Attar, he is on the verge of returning to what he does best and that includes doing “things nobody thought” the Irishman could and said he believes McGregor will become a world champion again and doesn’t see him slowing down anytime soon.
“He strives for greatness and dreams for things that nobody thought that he could accomplish, and he’s doing that again,” Attar emphasized.
“At the end of the day, that’s the thing people forgot about him; he actually is a competitor. He dares to do things differently.
“That’s what’s exciting. It’s exciting to be a part of that and witness that and see that fire in him again. I love it.”
McGregor has not stepped foot in the Octagon since he was defeated by UFC lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov in October of 2018 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. And while a rematch is unlikely to happen at this point, fans still believe that Nurmagomedov and McGregor will face each other again soon.