Carlos Prates Claims He’s Next For Islam Makhachev After Signing New 8-Fight Deal

Carlos Prates Claims He’s Next For Islam Makhachev After Signing New 8-Fight Deal

Carlos Prates claims he’s been told he’s next in line for a welterweight title shot against Islam Makhachev after signing a new 8-fight deal with the UFC.

“I’m really excited now to go. It’s my time to train for him, fight him, and get the title,” Prates said on The Ariel Helwani Show. “I’m the next for the title. Yeah, basically, new contract, next one for the title and let’s go.”

Prates is currently 7-1 in the UFC, with all seven of his wins having coming via strikes, but he acknowledges he’d be an underdog against Makhachev, who now holds the UFC record for the longest winning streak (17 fights) after his unanimous decision victory against Ian Machado Garry on Saturday night.

“I’m excited to test myself against him,” Prates said. “I know I’m really underdog, but not because of the title only the title or money, but I really want to fight him because I want to test myself against him,” said Prates. “I’m really excited to do this. I really think I can win. I can like shock the world I can make everybody surprising. … I will do this. I will do this.”

“I’m ready to fight. I can’t wait to fight him. I know I’ll knock him out. I promised everybody. I promise people in Brazil. I promise my coach. We’re going to change up everybody’s life and I will bring that belt to Brazil.”

MMA Insight brings you the latest UFC & MMA news and event results on a daily basis. We provide quality, in-depth articles, insight and opinion on the major talking points in the world of MMA.

Photo of author

About Ross Cole

Ross launched MMA Insight (previously FightOfTheNight.com) in 2009 as a way to channel his passion for the sport of mixed martial arts. He's since penned countless news stories and live fight reports along with dozens of feature articles as the lead writer for the site, reaching millions of fans in the process.

Latest UFC & MMA Articles