After the conclusion of last night’s ‘UFC On FX 3’ card UFC president Dana White spoke with Ariel Helwani on Fuel TV about the big talking points of the night.
Read on for the keynotes from their conversation or scroll down to watch the interview for yourselves.
– The judges made the right call by announcing Demetrious Johnson as the winner of the main event in White’s opinion.
– Florida is a tough market for the UFC and they struggle to sell tickets the UFC president admits and that’s why they don’t come here more often.
He implies that the lack of big fights here could be a reason why the standard of judging and officiating was so poor last night, i.e. a lack of experience.
– He doesn’t know when the flyweight final will take place. Joseph Benavidez is raring to go, but it all depends on when Johnson is fit and able to fight.
– White bemoans the UFC’s bad luck with injuries lately. He wonders whether now that so many fighters are training with each other in the major fight camps if that leading to them being too competitive with one another which is leading to some of these injuries. He thinks that they should tone it done a bit in training to ensure they remain healthy for the fights.
He doesn’t believe fighters are more cautious about competing while injured though as he says that they are all motivated to fight and get paid, and the more time they spend on the sidelines with injuries the less opportunites they get to do that.
– White claims that Mauricio ‘Shogun’ Rua would rather have been cut from the promotion than fight Glover Teixiera. That’s the reason he’s now fighting Brandon Vera instead at ‘UFC On FOX 4’.
– People claim Erick Silva could have the potential to be a welterweight version of Anderson Silva, and Dana White doesn’t disagree, stating that he’s “incredibly talented and very exciting.”
– White says his meeting with Brock Lesnar a few weeks ago didn’t go well – in fact he claims it was the worst he’s ever had with the WWE star and he hasn’t talked to him since.