Floyd Mayweather Jr is sending out mixed messages about a potential mega-fight with Conor McGregor a day after a UK tabloid newspaper claimed that the two superstars had agreed financial terms for the boxing match.
Firstly, ESPN analyst Stephen A Smith claimed on the channel that he’d spoken to Mayweather at an NBA game on Saturday night and was told by the legendary boxer that the fight was “very, very close” to becoming a reality.
Hours later, Mayweather issued a contradictory statement, reaffirming the fact that he’s still retired.
“There seems to be several rumors floating around media recently however, let the record show, there hasn’t been any deals made in regards to a fight between myself and any other fighters,” Mayweather wrote on Instagram. “I am happily retired and enjoying life at this time. If any changes are to come, be sure that I will be the first to let the world to know.”
That being said, the Nevada State Athletic Commission’s chairman Anthony Marnell has confirmed that negotiations between the two fighters representatives are taking place.
“There is a lot of real stuff going on,” Marnell told ESPN. “It still seems like a long shot, but when there is a lot of money involved, people tend to figure it out. There are a lot of cooks in the kitchen, but I’m not sure if we’re going to eat.
“The Nevada Athletic Commission, in my experience, has always been well-briefed by all parties on an event or potential event that may take place in Las Vegas. We are aware of conversations and information that has been disclosed and not disclosed in the media. Whether these conversations will get to a point that a fight happens, I can’t tell you.”
However, not for the first time, UFC President Dana White poured cold water on the idea by stating on TMZ Sports that it was “not true” that a deal had been reached.