One of the bantamweight division’s leading contenders Cory Sandhagen has staked his claim for a shot at current champion Henry Cejudo if Jose Aldo isn’t able to fight at UFC 250 on May 9th.
Sandhagen appears to be banking on the fact that Aldo might not be able to leave Brazil due to the current coronavirus situation and as such says he would even be willing to step in on just a week’s notice if it meant a chance to fight for the belt.
“I’m ready for that May 9 fight in case Jose can’t make it back into the states,” Sandhagen said on The A-Side. “I’ll be ready if they call me on a week’s notice I’m gonna be ready for that fight. It’ll kind of suck not to have any training partners other than my girlfriend, but when they call me I don’t want to be in a position where I’m like, naw I can’t because I was lazy. That’s not happening, that’s not gonna happen for me.”
Sandhagen is currently on a five fight winning streak since joininig the UFC in 2018 and along the way has racked up big wins over the likes of John Lineker and Raphael Assuncao to climb up to No.4 in the rankings.
Aljamain Sterling had previously been earmarked as Sandhagen’s next opponent, but Sterling has since stated that there’s no chance he will fight any time soon due to the pandemic that continues to keep much of the world locked down for the time being.