Kamaru Usman Responds To Joaquin Buckley’s Call-Out

Kamaru Usman Responds To Joaquin Buckley’s Call-Out

Former welterweight champion Kamaru Usman has offered his response after being called out by Joaquin Buckley after he defeated Colby Covington by TKO on Saturday night.

“I feel like the hot chick at the bar,” Usman said on the ‘Pound For Pound’ podcast he co-hosts alongside Henry Cejudo. “Everybody wants a piece, but hey, it’s almost like no one’s listening to what I’m saying. No one’s getting what I’m saying. I don’t care who it is.

“Shavkat (Rakhmonov), Belal, Ian (Machado Garry), Buckley, JDM (Della Maddalena), I don’t care who it is. One thing that I won’t do, because I’ve done for so long and too much, which is partially why I’m having to take this layoff, is compete when I’m not ready. When I am healthy, I don’t care who it is.”

That being said, Usman says that he is more than comfortable with the idea of fighting Buckley next, believing that his wrestling would be the difference-maker in that match-up.

“I remember watching and I’m going, ‘Oh, I like that fight,’ I really like that matchup,” Usman said. “Covington took him down a couple of times. Obviously me and Covington, we utilize the wrestling differently in how we approach fights. Most people know when I take you down, you’re not getting up unless I want you to get up.”

Photo of author

About Ross Cole

Ross launched MMA Insight (previously FightOfTheNight.com) in 2009 as a way to channel his passion for the sport of mixed martial arts. He's since penned countless news stories and live fight reports along with dozens of feature articles as the lead writer for the site, reaching millions of fans in the process.

Latest UFC & MMA Articles